I Heart Amsterdam

I Heart Amsterdam

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

My first day in Amsterdam (08/22/2010)

I flew into Amsterdam only a few hours ago and haven't really slept. It is about 2 or 3 in the afternoon. I went out looking for some coffee to tide me over and stumbled into Coffee Company on Govert Flinck Straat. I walked in and they are playing She & Him, one of my current favorite records and I feel like I haven't really even left the States. The song was 'You Really Got A Hold On Me" and it was quite interesting hearing American music on the radio. I figured I would be inundated with Dutch, that Dutch would be everywhere and used in every conversation, and in some cases this is true, but so far all the music I have heard has been in English. I wonder just how much of this culture is bilingual???
After ordering my small Americano for 2 Euros 30, I sat down to people watch. I think I will be spending a lot of time on this street, 1e Van Der Helst Straat, because there are cafe's everywhere and people are sitting enjoying themselves chatting.
More to come later. For now here is that song. Oh Zooey and M. Ward.

No comments:

Post a Comment